Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Mother's Heart

My sister gave me a wonderful book for Christmas called: "You are Captivating...Celebrating a Mother's Heart" by Stasi Eldredge. I highly recommend it. She so beautifully describes a mother's heart. (She also wrote "Captivating" with her husband, John Eldredge, who is the author of "Wild at Heart")

I started reading my new book over the weekend and connected with it/her instantly! I couldn't believe how well she described in the first chapter exactly what I have been feeling...

"Motherhood is a hard thing. As time passes, our babies are born and leave the safety of our wombs; they crawl and walk and then run away from us. In fact, a good mother is working toward the day when her son or daughter will healthily and happily live completely independent of her...The joy of being a mother is so very closely linked with the sorrow of being a mother. It is holy ground."

Oh, the joy and heartbreak a mother endures! It is beautiful and at the same time bittersweet. I do want my boys to be independent and self-confident, but I will enjoy those arms reaching for me for as long as I can...

1 comment:

Sarah Lubach said...

Sounds like my next read! Thanks for sharing, Heidi. Always love your beautiful perspective and thoughts from your heart.