Friday, March 27, 2009

Out with the Old, In with the New

We have officially entered the world of parenthood, we now are the owners of a minivan! We have been researching them for awhile now and been talking to people who have them. "It is the only way to go," say other parents, so we decided to make life easier and trade my Ford Focus in. I am a very sentimental person, so I have to say I'm a little sad to see the Focus go! I have a lot of good memories associated with that car...

I purposely bought a stick shift back in 2003 so it would force me to learn how to drive one. Craig and I were just newly dating when I was going through the purchase of it. I have fond memories of a driving lesson he gave me in my mom's car, which was a stick at the time. I also remember driving to meet my dad for breakfast the day after I got the Focus. My sister and I were coming from opposite directions to meet him at Village Inn. We both got to the intersection in front of the restaurant at the same time where she was able to witness me stalling out right in the middle of the intersection! She was giving me an encouraging wave and I could just hear her saying, "You can do it Heid!" Oh those early days of driving it held such pressure! I would sweat like crazy when I had to stop on a hill! But soon I conquered it and was amazed at how quickly I became a natural. I consider it a glorious accomplishment and am thankful for the past 6 years that I've had it!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Congrats on the mini-van! We love ours, too. :) And I have always been impressed with the way you forced yourself to learn to drive a stick. I don't think I would ever be that brave. Good for you! :)

Partyhouse 4 God said...

An idea to keep your seats from getting raggy looking from the car seats- put a thick towel or make a cover for the seat. I wish I would have done that when we first got our van 4 years ago. I am so glad that you have a great van. I still miss my first car- good memories just like yours.

I stopped going to ARF- I am saving money and I am just going to work out at home- I have some really good excersizes and I have an eliptical. I am starting to get too busy with the farm and the kids to leave the house every day. I just have to be dedicated just as if I was going to leave for ARF everyday. Just wanted to let you know. Well, 2 of my kids have chicken pox, so I need to go.