Thursday, March 5, 2009

How Time Flies!

Gage is 2 months old already! Two months of pregnancy goes by very slowly, but when the baby is here it's gone in a blink. He had his 2 month check up on Wednesday. He is in the 75th percentile for weight and length which I am happy about! Even though he was born so long (22 in) he must be averaging out. (Is averaging a word??) He had to get 3 pokes for his vaccinations. I was dreading it and told Craig he needed to be there for moral support. His reply was, "Well he'll have you there." And I said, "Not for Gage, for me!" It's not like we haven't heard him cry, loudly, that's for sure, but it is still tough when you know they are crying out in pain. It all went well though. Our boy is a trooper!

A lot of changes have taken place in the past two months...
- Gage has found his fist! It is so cute. It started with a finger and now he tries to get his whole fist in there.
- His neck muscles are amazing! Really from the start he awed us by how well he could hold his head. Now he needs very little support at all.
- Just like his neck, Gage's leg muscles are also very strong. He likes to "stand" on our lap.
- He is smiling and cooing more than ever. He will start smiling at us out of the blue as we are feeding him his bottle. It is so funny! He is always very happy in the morning when he wakes up too. And the other night he was smiling away at Craig when he was putting him to bed. I can already tell he will be a tough one to discipline!
- I know it is so minor, but his eyelashes are thickening! It seemed like overnight I noticed that he has thick, beautiful long eyelashes now!
- He is sleeping longer at night. I am not going to go into detail because I don't want to jinx it (see below)!

What I have learned...
- Do not talk about the progress of sleep! The minute you do it backfires and you have a sleepless night!
- No two days are the same! The amount of time sleeping, where he takes the best nap, what holds his interest, etc. Don't count on anything, it changes everyday!
- Keeping him awake after a bottle does work! Honestly, I have been bugged by people asking me, "Is he on a schedule??" My inward response has been, "He is a newborn for goodness sake! How can he be on a schedule?!" Well, I hate to admit it, but it has really helped to keep him awake after a bottle. We have gotten into a good pattern of eat - stay awake - sleep so our days are more predictable.
- Plan your day around his feeding schedule...that way you won't get stuck feeding him in Wal-Mart's lay away area.
- Keep blog postings short or else it takes 3 days to finish! 8-)

No comments: