Monday, April 20, 2009

Letting Go

Someone once told me that raising a child is a long process of letting go, right from birth. How true it is! Last Wednesday night sweet baby Gage slept in his crib for the first time. Yes, that's right, I finally let go. I have been dragging my feet to make the transition from his pack 'n play, snugly and safely in our bedroom, to his crib, far far away downstairs in his bedroom. It wasn't just because I didn't want to make the long trek downstairs in the middle of the night for a feeding (although that didn't help). It was because every night I had him within arm's reach, to hear him breathe, to enjoy those precious sighs, and to know he is safe. What can I say, I am a goofy-in-love, over-protective, first time mother! I never imagined I would be quite so much this way, but I guess I wouldn't want to be any different.
Well, after 5 nights of sleeping in his own bedroom, in his cozy crib, Gage is doing wonderfully! He even has slept for 8+ hours for the past two nights in a row. I love going to get him in the morning and seeing his happy face so excited to see me. He is taking longer naps now too. So I have decided that "letting go" will always be hardest on me, but ultimately the best for my baby boy.

No comments: