Thursday, August 5, 2010

My Food Processor is My New Best Friend!

Ever since Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook "Deceptively Delicious" came out I wanted to get it. The concept behind it is cooking vegetables into your dishes, basically hiding them, so your kids don't know they're there but are still getting the nutrition. I thought it would be great for just Craig and I but I just never got around to buying it...until now, now that I have a picky eater who does not like to eat his vegetables most days.

Let me tell you, this cookbook has changed my life! I absolutely love it. The recipes are great, but the whole concept is something I will be doing forever now. In the book Jessica writes about her long-standing Sunday night date with her husband Jerry, in the kitchen, while she purees her veggies for the week. This past Sunday night I did the same, without the date (maybe someday I'll get my hubby to join me...). I steamed, roasted, and pureed. I loved it. It was so wonderful to be able to set the oven to 400, put in some sweet potatoes and squash and forget about them while I peeled and steamed carrots. When everything was ready I pureed each vegetable in my food processor and divided them up by 1 cup increments into freezer bags. SO simple!

The best part has been being able to pull a baggie out of the freezer for meals or baby food for Eli throughout the week. I have learned that I can add some pureed vegetables to anything! Last night I made Gage a grilled cheese-butternut squash sandwich that he loved. Today for lunch I added carrot puree to some pasta sauce to put over his favorite mini-wheels pasta. He wanted seconds!

Don't miss this important point: I STILL PUT VEGETABLES ON HIS PLATE. I won't always be there to cook them into his meals so he needs to learn to eat them and hopefully like them someday.

Oh what peace of mind a mom can have knowing that your children are getting their vegetables even when they don't think they like them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heidi, I saw Jessica on Rachel Ray and she was talking about her cookbook and sharing recipes. That is great that it's working well with the kids!! I will have to do that when the little guy gets older. It is such a great idea!
~Meagan