Monday, January 26, 2009

Getting to Know Gage (and his little quirks!)

It has been so fun to get to know our little boy these past 3 weeks! He is so entertaining, we could watch him all day. I know as he grows and changes there will be so much more to add, but these are our observations so far:

1. He is a squeaker! A few days after coming home from the hospital Gage found his voice. He started making squeaking noises in his sleep and while eating. He soon progressed into making lots of different sounds including gasps for air. It worried his mommy so he got to meet his doctor's office before his routine 2 week check up! We learned that he is perfectly healthy, just a little noise-maker. We are used to them now and poor guy, we laugh at him a lot!

2. He is a hiccuper! When I told my OB that I felt my baby hiccupping on a regular basis in the womb, she said that usually if a baby hiccups a lot in the womb it will most likely hiccup a lot outside the womb too! She was right! Gage gets the hiccups at least twice a day. Thankfully they don't seem to bother him. They bother me more I am sure because I feel so sorry for him!

3. He loves to be stroked! When we stroke his cheeks and hands and fingers he will smile and open his mouth and close his eyes. It is so soothing to him, it will help put him to sleep. His skin is so soft I will never get tired of holding and kissing him! I dread the day when he will get tired of it!

4. He makes funny faces! I never knew one baby could look so differently from moment to moment. One of my favorites is what he does during a "burping"...he lifts his head up with his eyes closed and he'll raise his eyebrows and purse his lips. It makes me laugh every time! I'll have to try and catch that one on camera one of these days!

5. He loves to be held! He would much rather be held than sleep on his own. We found that out the first night home. That was one long night! Since then we have used the sleeping wedge, car seat carrier, and our arms, usually alternating between the three in one night! He was eventually sleeping for 3 hour intervals through the night in his car seat but lately is waking up every 2 hours like clockwork. Mommy can't wait to have more than 2 hours of sleep at a time! In the early morning hours he usually ends up beside me in bed or on the couch, where he would sleep for hours if he could.

6. He loves to be sung to! Daddy is so good at making up funny songs that make him laugh!

No comments: